Saturday 22 November 2008

A poem called "Mummy"

I wrote this many many years ago for a dear friend having her first child.

Mummy

Here I am inside your tummy
Growing every day
Becoming just like you and daddy
With all the best in every way

I just wanted to tell you mummy
That sometimes you may not feel like you
Some days you will feel full of life and joy
Others you may feel down and blue

Sometimes you will feel the magic of life
Sometimes you won't even be able to pretend
Sometimes you might be uncomfortable
But mummy, it's worth it in the end

So mummy I just want to say
For creating me thank you
I can't wait until I see your smiling face
Oh mummy, I love you


When I wrote this, to me it was heartfelt words to give to my friend. She was unwell and struggling a bit with her pregnancy. I hadn't had any children at this stage but when I did become pregnant with my own, I dug this poem out. I finally realised that these weren't just words but were encouragement, peace, desire ...... many things that I needed to hold on to. Above all, to me, it was a promise.

When writing poetry for myself, family or friends I would always pray first for the "right" words to put to paper. I know this poem, simple as it may be, was inspired through God.

I love poetry. So many expressions can be heard when reading, so many emotions and feelings. This is yet another thing I hope to teach my boys. A love of poems.

No comments: