Saturday 7 February 2009

Addictions!

Do you have any?

I do!

Is that a gasp of shock I hear?

I have a Coke/Caffeine addiction. I don't drink coffee or tea. I drink coke to get my caffeine. I go through times where I reduce my intake or stop altogether and, of course, suffer the bad headaches with it. I keep telling myself this is the last carton I'm buying but I know I don't really mean it.

You know why?

Cause I like it! I enjoy having a can of coke!

Is that another gasp I just heard?

Yep, you heard me right. I enjoy drinking coke. I know its not good for me but then, isn't it always the case? Most things that we like aren't good for us. But herein lies my problem ............

I don't let my children drink coke (much). They are only allowed a softdrink every now and then. I would say they probably only have it maybe once every other month or three (if that often). When they can have one, I always try to have them drink an orange or lemonade.

Now they are getting older (and wiser) they question me over drinking coke:
  • "Why are you allowed to drink it when I'm not?".
  • "Why isn't it bad for you if its bad for me"
  • "Why isn't it rotting your teeth"
And on the questions go until I am forced to snap and say "Because I said so". I really hated being told that as a child so I can imagine how my kids feel when I say it to them. I try not to do it too often.

So my long term goal (say 4-6 mths) will be to cut coke from my daily life. GASP!!!!

This time its me gasping :D

My reasons for this are simple:
  • I'll save money
  • I'll be healthier
  • My children won't feel like I am letting them down
I hate the feeling of my kids being disappointed with me. I know I can do and have what I want because I'm an adult but I want my kids to understand that I'm not being selfish or deliberately teasing them. So adult or not, I think its now best that I do what I tell them. Don't drink coke because it is unhealthy.

Not only is it unhealthy for my body but it is so unhealthy for my wallet. I am trying to budget better and two weeks ago I was out of food money and had a couple of days til payday. Do you know what happened?

No, you say!

I'll tell you!

I had put money aside at the start for a carton of coke because I knew the one we had wouldn't last. I justified my buying the carton because I had "saved the money".

Now tell, isn't that just so sad?

That in itself shows me what a hard hold on my life I have let this addiction have. So, my aim is to stop drinking it altogether with maybe the occasional treat. I think this will be a bit hard as I've drunk it for so many years now but its never too late to stop.

Wish me luck!

4 comments:

marina said...

wow! you are brave that would be hard for me to give diet coke up but i understand the addictions lately i have been addicted too ice mocha's love it i have been having one almost every afternoon. the other day I had one for breakfast and then went back for one in the afternoon., let me know how it works for you ") marina

Luis Portugal said...

Hello
It has a nice blog.
Sorry not write more, but my English is bad writing.
A hug from my country, Portugal

Bonnie said...

I wouldn't have let you have that coke this morning if I'd read this earlier !! ha ha The best way to go off of coke is cold turkey !!! Having just one here or there will start up the addiction again as soon as you've had it !! I've done it a few times. I don't actually drink coke anymore. Ever. I was so badly addicted to it. The last headache I got from it lasted three days, kept me up at night (all night for one of them) and eventually made me vomit ! Not pretty !! I'll tell you a little secret ... it's not that hard, once you've determined to do it. I've not had any soft drink since the end of December 2008. I plan to stay off it for the rest of my life ...

Toni said...

Thank you all for your support. I know this will be tough but I'm determined to succeed :D